Financial options

Financial plans that fit your needs and goals       

As a student, you have many options available to fund your education. Below are the most common financial options that students use, but because everyone’s situation is different, it’s important that you discuss your payment plan with an advisor before you enroll.

Federal Financial Aid Plan

The Federal Financial Aid Plan is available if you receive federal grants, federal loans or both to pay for tuition in an eligible degree or certificate program. A list of federal financial aid programs is available on the U.S. Department of Education Student Aid website under Types of Aid.


Scholarships are a great way to fund your education because they do not need to be repaid; however, they are not provided to all students. Explore the scholarship opportunities that are available.

Institutional grants

If you’re a new student enrolling in an undergraduate program, or who meets certain financial need criteria, you may qualify for an institutional grant that will lower the cost of your education. An Enrollment Representative can help you determine if you can apply for an institutional grant.

Cash Plan

The Cash Plan lets you pay for tuition and fees one course at a time as you pursue your education. This plan requires that all charges be paid before the start of each course.

Tuition Deferral Plan

If your employer offers tuition reimbursement, the Tuition Deferral Plan provides for a 60-day “grace period” so that you can be reimbursed by your employer before making your payment. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and U.S. Department of Defense offers similar benefits to active-duty and Reserve servicemembers and their dependents. If you choose this plan, your tuition bill will be sent to you.

Third-Party Billing Plan

The Third-Party Billing Plan works for students whose employers fund their education. This differs from our Tuition Deferral Plan in that the tuition charges are sent directly to your employer instead of to you. Please be sure to speak with an advisor to determine if your employer is approved for direct billing.

Military or Government Billing Plan

If you are a government employee, U.S. Armed Forces veteran or active-duty military personnel, University of Phoenix may directly bill your organization for your educational costs. To directly bill the military, you must be determined eligible by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The Military or Government Billing Plan does not include Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 30) benefits.

Tribal funding

Several American Indian tribal nations provide funding for the tuition of a student who is a recognized member.

For additional information on tribal funding, please contact our Tribal Relations department at

Private student loans

You can also pay for your education with private student loans available through most financial institutions.

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Tuition and fees calculator

Let us help you plan your educational investment.

Get started here

or call us at866.766.0766

Learn more

Financial Services blog

Stay knowledgeable about financing your education. Kim Murphy, Financial Services community manager, offers the latest updates.

Financial aid FAQ

Do you have general questions about federal financial aid? Find useful answers on our financial aid FAQ page.

Repaying your student loans

Know what you’ll owe. To help you understand more about repaying student loans, we’ve compiled a list of responses to many frequently asked questions.

We also recommend that you visit to learn more about managing your monthly payments based on your total loan balance and interest rates.